dental phobia & anxiety
This is where a person feels mildly or moderately anxious about going to the dentist. Symptoms include, fast breathing, slightly raised blood pressure and sweating. It may be useful to think about what it actually is that is causing the anxiety. It can also be due to specific parts of the dental procedure such as
- seeing the needle,
- hearing the drill,
Once you know what the distressing trigger is you can discuss ways of controlling this with your dentist.
Fewer people suffer from dental phobia and it is markedly different from anxiety. If you do have a phobia and you are reading this then you are doing really well.Symptoms include shaking, a racing heart and panic attacks. These symptoms can be triggered just by thinking about dentistry and talking about treatment is hugely distressing. As for anxiety, there may be specific parts to the process which are particularly distressing but it is very difficult for the phobic patient to think through the process and pinpoint what actually is causing the fear. Sometimes the phobia is linked to past unrelated trauma but where the person was also vulnerable. Triggers include fear of
- Lying down in front of people
- Not been able to breathe properly
- Having hands around the nose and mouth
- Objects being put in the mouth
- Not being listened to
- Panicking and causing a scene
At Hungarian Dental Travel we are sensitive to the fact that many people suffer from anxiety and phobias and that these fears have a extreme impact on both your oral health and sometimes your life. Please discuss your fears with us so that we are in a position to help you manage these fears.
All our clinics offer oral anti anxiety medication such as benzodiazepines e.g Xanax. If required IV sedation can be given using e.g. midazolam. This is sometimes called ‘twilight sedation’, you remain responsive and in control but feel extremely drowsy. The cost of sedation starts at 300 EUR and depends on the length of time required.The tablets and IV sedation is enough for almost all people but sometimes a general anesthetic is needed.
If you have chosen to have a general anaesthetic then your treatment will be done in a hospital and an anaesthetist will be involved. This comes at an extra cost of at least 560 EUR and depends on the length of time required.
All the HDT dentists abide by the General dental Council 2013 guidelines as below.
- Treat every patient with dignity and respect at all times.
- Take a holistic and preventative approach to patient care which is appropriate to the individual patient.
- Communicate effectively with patients – listen to them, give them time to consider information and take their individual views and communication needs into account.
- Recognise and promote patients’ rights to and responsibilities for making decisions about their health priorities and care.
- Give patients the information they need, in a way they can understand, so that they can make informed decisions.
- You must make sure you have valid consent before starting any treatment or investigation.
- Patients can withdraw their consent at any time, refuse treatment or ask for it to be stopped after it has started. You must acknowledge their right to do this and follow their wishes.
Start Your Journey to a new smileSpeak to one of our advisers
Hungarian Dental Travel has been helping patients find the best possible treatment in Hungary since 2004. Now part of Hand Picked Clinics, we are expanding our country coverage with the aim of helping more people from all over the globe.
We can introduce you to some of the best dental clinics in Hungary (and beyond). We know the ins and outs of travelling abroad for treatment. We are not tied to one clinic and we are not dentists, just normal humans.
Every treatment plan is as individual as you are. You will get world class treatment at an affordable price. Our dentists are skilled at designing solutions that both save you money and focus on your long term oral health.
Send us a short message outlining what you want to acheive - restore your self-esteem, a perfect smile, being able to chew properly, your objective will be our aim as we do our best to guide you through.
We have hand picked a small number of clinics in Hungary with some of the best dentists and dental surgeons around.
We only gather the information we have to in order to provide the service we offer and we only share that information with the dentists in our selected clinics. Simple.